What does a Network Engineer job

 At the same time, I have been “‘writing” this post for a week now because I am so busy with work and studies for CCNP Route. So this will end up as a series of posts. I will touch on some things related to Cisco’s PPDIOO Methodology and how that CCNP topic has applied to my job role in addition to some general information.

JOB OVERVIEW
In general, my team takes designs created by architects, planners and salespeople and makes changes to the network topology based on issues like traffic congestion, preventative maintenance, necessary infrastructure upgrades, customer issues, new product offerings, etc.

TEAM ROLES
My immediate team consists of Lead Network Engineers (Level II) and Network Engineers (Level I). Projects based on the issues above are given to the Lead Network Engineers and they choose a couple of Level 1 Network Engineers to work on the projects with them.

PROCESS/PPDIOO
This is the first place where my Cisco knowledge was reinforced and utilized. The emphasis of Cisco CCNP R&S on Design Plans and Design Goals will go a long way in preparing individuals for this industry. In my role very detailed implementation plans are created and verified for a majority of the project life cycle prior to ever inputting a config into a network device. The alteration or input of any configs into a network device is approached very delicately as if you are about to perform “network surgery” on a living network-LOL. Note: I am only exaggerating a little, it is very serious.

I don’t want to make the post too long so to summarize only Prepare and Plan on a practical level in this post:

PREPARE
When a project has been given the official “Go” our team begins be performing an extensive and very detailed audit of the regional network topology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Qualifications for a network engineer

Find Out the Truth About the Computer Engineer Salary

Network Engineering Description